In this section...
- Beautifully restored historic hamlet
- 2-bedroom cottages
- 7-bedroom villa
- Delightful views of Chianti countryside
- Restaurant 5-minute drive
Early bird offer... Many of our 2022 holidays are now on sale and we're promising this year's prices when you book before 30 June 2021. The offer only applies to properties where 2022 prices are listed but all other properties can still be reserved online using our Advance Registration scheme.
This wonderful private estate sits in a privileged hillside position in the heart of Tuscany’s famous winelands. Surrounded by Chianti’s signature vineyards, olive groves and woodland, it was once part of an ancient hamlet, transformed in a three-year restoration project from crumbling ruins into a quietly sophisticated retreat set in its own magnificent grounds. The owners, Lucia and Stefano, have completed the renovations to comfortable modern standards whilst retaining perfect harmony with the ancient origins of the estate’s various buildings. All guests at Canonica di Cortine are free to enjoy the beautifully landscaped gardens and shared swimming pool. The unusual variety of accommodation on offer appeals to solo travellers, couples, families and larger groups.
Lucia and Stefano’s tasteful influence can also be seen in the estate cottages; the original stone buildings have lost none of their historic character but have simply been ‘repurposed’ for the needs of 21st century visitors, each with its own outdoor dining space and some with a small garden for extra privacy. From a former hayloft to a converted chapel, the cottages are faithful guardians of the estate’s 1000-year history and, though the layouts vary considerably, all are comfortably furnished and practical for couples or smaller families. For full details, please visit our Cottages page.
If you’re looking for a larger self-catering option on the estate, we are delighted to feature the elegant Villa Castrum. This five-bedroom villa, set in its own exquisite enclosed gardens with private pool, benefits from a two-bedroom annex and is the perfect Tuscan hideaway for larger groups or extended families. For full details, please visit our Villa Castrum page.
In and Around the Estate
Breakfast and light lunches are available on request (paid for locally) but, this being Chianti, there’s no shortage of excellent food and wine nearby. You can also book a cookery lesson at La Canonica di Cortine (for a minimum of two people) or visit one of the areas many boutique wineries to try a Chianti Classico or taste the local olive oil. Add a few beauty treatments (available on request and payable locally) or a long country walk around the Badia a Passignano and you have the makings of pure escapism. The nearest restaurant, recently visited by George and Amal Clooney, is a 20-minute walk away; the village of San Donato in Poggio, just a five-minute drive. And being an eight-minute drive to the main road between Florence and Siena, a visit to one or both of these iconic cities should definitely be on your agenda: two points of the Golden Triangle that also includes San Gimignano, all accessible in under an hour. On the third weekend in September, medieval Panzano, a 20-minute drive away, hosts the annual Vino al Vino Wine Festival, a chance to sample the local tipples with a soundtrack of live music in the afternoon. This historic town is also home to Dario Cecchini’s famous restaurants and his butcher’s shop, which has as much personality as the celebrity butcher himself.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Tuscany
- Complimentary WiFi
- Laundry service available on request (payable locally)
- Shared swimming pool
- Breakfast basket delivery available on request (payable locally)
- Cooking classes available on request payable locally (minimum 2 people € 120 per person)
- Dinner available on request and payable locally (minimum 6 people)
- A daily tourist tax applies for the first week of your stay only, which means that an average of €1.50 per person (14+ years) may be charged. This should be paid in cash during your stay.
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Check in time – 4pm - 8pm
- Check out time – 10am
- San Donato in Poggio (restaurants/bars) 5min drive
- Castellina in Chianti 15min drive
- Panzano in Chianti 20min drive
- Greve in Chianti 30min drive
- San Gimignano 30min drive
- Siena 50min drive
- Florence 45min drive
- Florence airport 45min drive
- Pisa airport 1hr 25min drive
This property is priced on an accommodation-only basis. To view details of recommended flights please click here.
We are happy to arrange your car hire, using one of our trusted local suppliers. Choose to collect your car at the airport or use our taxi transfer service and find your hire car waiting at the property; please ask us about options and prices. All hire cars booked with us include:
- Fully inclusive insurance, with zero excess*
- Free additional driver
When you book your car with us, we'll also make sure the paperwork is done in advance, leaving you free to simply check and sign for the vehicle when you arrive. For further information regarding travel arrangements click here.
* For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
- 2 guests – 1 group B, Fiat 500 or similar
- 3 guests – 1 group C, VW Polo or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group D, Peugeot 308 or similar
- 5 guests – 1 group F, Automatic BMW Series 2 Gran Tourer Station Wagon or similar
- 6 guests – 2 group C, VW Polo or similar
- 7 guests – 1 group C, VW Polo or similar, and 1 group D, Peugeot 308 or similar
- 8 guests – 2 group D, Peugeot 308 or similar
- 9 guests – 1 group D, Peugeot 308 and 1 group F, Automatic BMW Series 2 Gran Tourer Station Wagon or similar
- 10 guests – 2 group F, Automatic BMW Series 2 Gran Tourer Station Wagon or similar
- 11-12 guests – 1 group C, VW Polo and 2 group F, Automatic BMW Series 2 Gran Tourer Station Wagon or similar
- 13-14 guests – 1 group D, Peugeot 308 and 2 group F, Automatic BMW Series 2 Gran Tourer Station Wagon or similar
Group B – 1.2 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group C – 1.6 litre engine, 2 medium and 1 large suitcases*
Group D – 1.6 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
Group F – 1.6 litre engine, 3 large and 2 small suitcases*
Group H – 1.6 litre engine, 3 large suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
A wonderful place, the perfect peaceful and secluded getaway in the heart of stunning Tuscan countryside and close to some beautiful villages. The complex is beautifully maintained, with a lovely pool and olive grove, and the owners are extremely friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back.
Pippa Nordberg – September 2020
A very relaxing holiday in a perfect location in the heart of the Chianti Classico region with expansive views of the vineyards and hilltop village of San Donato beyond. We enjoyed the good-sized shared pool and the grounds were immaculately kept thanks to Ercole!
Guthrie McGruer – September 2020
The owners of Canonica di Cortine are very agreeable and eager to make your stay a pleasant and happy one, as are all the staff. It is a beautiful and peaceful location in a collection of historic buildings. Being a walled property with keypad entry, it is also secure. We enjoyed our week there and the owners and staff were extremely pleasant. It's a very good base for touring round beautiful Tuscany. We had a very peaceful relaxing holiday.
The Abbott family – June 2019
Tuscan Wandering was a new Simpson adventure for us. A wonderful experience in lovely hotels (La Locanda del Loggiato and La Canonica di Cortine). Helpful hosts to guide us through stunning countryside and hilltop villages. Superb organisation; we did not want to come home.
Chris & Anne Woodhead – September 2018
We had a very relaxing week at Canonica di Cortine. The accommodation was comfortable and well equipped and the setting beautiful. We made good use of the lovely swimming pool and the table tennis. Stefano was very helpful in recommending places to eat and even arranged a visit to the Chianti Space Observatory, which we highly recommend. Thank you for a wonderful stay.
Tara B – Alba – August 2018
We book with Simpson Travel as we know what we will get – out of the ordinary in every way, great locations, fabulous hosts and kindred spirits. Both our selected properties in Tuscany, La Madonnina and La Canonica di Cortine, had so much to recommend them whilst being totally different – a great combination.
Martin Sims – Solatio – August 2018
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
From the moment you arrive in Tuscany, you are invited to share in its grand passions and indulgent pleasures – world-famous wine, mouth-watering food and epic histories. Each of Tuscany’s ten provinces has its own unique personality, but wherever you stay, you’ll find yourself surrounded by a verdant patchwork of olive groves, cypress trees and vineyards. From the birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence, to the narrow streets of hilltop San Gimignano, Tuscany makes for a stunning escape.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Tuscany
View holiday Booking Conditions