In this section...
- Stylish Partner Hotel
- Peaceful edge of village location
- Heated pool
- Sauna and spa
- 500m from the ocean and coastal path
Book with confidence...
Read our Covid-19 pledge to find out how you and your money are protected.
Les Vignes de la Chapelle sits at the edge of a vineyard on the outskirts of the peaceful village of Sainte Marie, just a short stroll through the vines from the coastal path. There is a relaxed refined air about this lovely boutique hotel, understated and chic with a friendly atmosphere and attentive young staff who strike just the right note of upmarket and informal hospitality.
The communal areas have an atmosphere of quiet sophistication and the clever marriage of elegant soft furnishings, vogueish colours and natural materials promotes a slow pace and zen-like sense of harmony. A wonderful breakfast buffet showcases a delicious range of local and organic produce to be enjoyed in the open-plan lounge and dining area or outside on the terrace. There are lovely views across the pool towards the vineyard from either, with the tantalising promise of the ocean just beyond and a further covered terrace offers drinks and light snacks throughout the day.
We are pleased to offer Simpson Travel guests the best of the hotel’s suites, selected for their suitability for couples during the shoulder seasons and families during the peak weeks of the school holidays. For couples, the Vine Suites offer serene and comfortable accommodation overlooking the vineyard; with private living area, refreshment corner and terrace, they are the perfect retreat after a day exploring the island. Family Suites overlook the hotel’s pretty gardens and offer an enticing mezzanine sleeping area, ideal for little ones over the age of 5. The compact kitchenettes are perfect for preparing light meals and snacks and the hotel can also arrange a meal delivery service in the evenings for guests who prefer to take a complete break from domesticity. A sauna, steam room and elegant spa offer a tempting range of treatments and therapies whilst a hot tub next to the pool invites guests to indulge in further relaxation.
The Local Area
Sainte-Marie-de-Ré is the island’s oldest village yet it retains an abundance of quiet charm and classic island chic, without attracting the crowds of its better-known neighbours. The beach closest to the hotel doesn’t benefit from the immaculate sands of those further north but at high tide it is good for bathing and when the tide is out, little pools appear displaying a fascinating array of the island’s smaller aquatic inhabitants. The edge of village location is perfect for cyclists and walkers, guests can set off through the vineyards and join the coastal path just 350m from the door. Follow the bamboo-lined trail up to Plage de la Basse Bernaie or hire one of the hotel bicycles and carry on beyond the village to the unspoilt golden sands of Plage des Grenettes. There are a number of good restaurants and shops selling daily essentials in Sainte Marie and its satellite village La Noue, and the popular east coast harbour towns of La Flotte and Saint Martin are also easily reached by bicycle or car.
Les Vignes de la Chapelle offers a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the elegant simplicity of Ile de Ré life in a blissfully peaceful part of the island. Stay for a week, enjoy a short break or combine a few nights here with a week in a villa on the Aquitaine coast; the choice is yours.
- 19 rooms/suites hotel
- 5 Vine Suites (sleeps 2)
- 8 Family Suites (sleeps 2-4)
- Open-plan breakfast room and lounge
- Terrace with breakfast bar overlooking pool
- Fenced pool with jacuzzi, sunbeds and parasols
- Garden pathway to suites – each with independent entrance from garden
- Complimentary WiFi
- Pool/beach towels provided
- Mini-bar, tea and coffee making facilities
- Satellite TV (limited English-speaking channels)
- Vine Suites with south-facing terraces overlooking the vineyard towards the ocean
- Family Suites with small terraces facing the garden/grounds, partially screened by hedge
- See separate Suites tab for individual details
- Reception and concierge services
- Buffet breakfast included and can be taken on the terrace or in the lounge
- Drinks and cold snacks available (payable locally)
- Meal delivery service (payable locally)
- Shared heated swimming pool 10m x 3-6m, fenced
- Jacuzzi (over 16s only)
- Sauna and steam room for adults only (2 sessions/stay included)
- Spa treatments (payable locally)
- Cot and high chair available on request (payable locally)
- Bike hire available at hotel (payable locally)
- Secure parking for one car included
- In hotels in France, a daily tourist tax applies, which on the Ile de Ré is €2.50 per person per night. This should be paid to the hotel owner during your stay.
- In October the pool will be heated to a minimum of 25°C and some seasonal restaurants, shops and bars may be closed
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
Hotel access times
- Check-in time – 4.00-9.00pm
- Check-out time – 11.00am
La Rochelle 11km
Nantes 150 km
Bordeaux 207 km
- Ferry ports
- TGV stations
La Rochelle 20km
- Coastal path 350m
- Plage de Notre Dame 10min walk (750m)
- Plage de la Basse Bernaie 12min walk (900m)
- Sainte Marie village (shops, restaurants) 15min walk (1000m) or short bike ride
- La Noue (restaurants, market) 2.5km
- La Rochelle 11km (via Ile de Ré toll bridge)
Below are the flight options available, including the most convenient airports in France to help you reach your destination as quickly and easily as possible.
|Departure airport||Airline||Flight days||Seasonality|
|London Gatwick||easyJet||Saturday||13 Jun – 19 Sep|
|Manchester||Jet2||Saturday||23 May – 19 Sep|
|London Stansted||Ryanair / Jet2||Saturday||All season|
|Leeds||Jet2||Saturday||23 May – 19 Sep|
|Bristol||easyJet||Saturday||27 Jun – 29 Aug|
Our choice of French properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
Described as the Pearl of the Atlantic, Ile de Ré has long since been on the radar of upmarket Parisians, sailors and sophisticates, famed for the beauty of its contrasting landscapes and the refined elegance of its towns and villages. The island’s ease of access and well-marked cycle trails afford a realistic opportunity for a car-free holiday and with 100km of glorious unspoilt coastline, a micro-climate that makes it one of the sunniest regions in France and a way of life that celebrates nature and conservation, this chic little island is an enchanting destination for beach-lovers, foodies and anyone looking to embrace the great outdoors.
View holiday Booking Conditions