In this section...
- Charming Partner Hotel
- Cookery courses available daily
- Excellent restaurant
- Short stays available
- 12-minute walk to Adriatic beaches
In a glorious position just south of Monopoli and a gentle stroll through the olive groves to the fashionable beaches of Capitolo, Masseria Garrappa is an impressive example of the fortified dwellings so typical of this region. From its 16th century origins as a Watchtower it has evolved over time, becoming a farmhouse in the 1700s when the addition of a chapel and olive press enabled its inhabitants to forge a self-sustaining rural community. The hotel’s proud owner Roberto is passionate about the history of the masseria; the use of the very best local produce is central to his philosophy for the well-regarded restaurant and the lovely chapel now serves as a serene and evocative setting for informal gatherings, talks and pasta making. From the cultivation of the organic vegetable garden, to the production of the finest olive oil, Roberto is a man who carves his own path, putting quality of ingredients and attention to detail before profit margins and high-tech invention. A passionate advocate of Puglia’s slow-food movement, where regional dishes are prepared and enjoyed slowly using fresh local produce, he is also a qualified sommelier with a well-stocked wine cellar offering an extensive choice of wines by both the glass and bottle. No surprise then that the cookery classes here have gained something of an enviable reputation, paying more than just lip-service to the careful preparation of an assortment of traditional Puglian dishes and matching them judiciously to their perfect companion wine should you so wish.
The hotel’s delightful informality stems from the beauty of its natural surroundings and nowhere more so than in the enchanting walled garden, where citrus trees, palms, jasmine and sweetly scented roses are the magical backdrop for evening drinks and elegant candlelit dining. The teardrop-shaped swimming pool sits in a lawned garden where fruit trees supply the seasonal crops of apricots, pomegranates, plums and apples and around the entrance to the masseria, flower beds brimming with plumbago add softness and romance to the golden stone walls of this striking building.
The accommodation is comfortable and tastefully furnished, with pretty en-suite bedrooms decorated in a neutral palette, accents of the palest blue echoing the vast skies of the Puglian landscape. Some of the rooms offer views across the olive groves to the sea and there are a couple of family-friendly options for those travelling with children. Breakfasts are a feast of local organic goodies, served in the charming vaulted dining room and morning coffee is available in the library or walled garden upon request.
The Adriatic beaches and beach clubs are a short walk or 5-minute cycle ride away and complimentary bikes are available for guests who wish to use them. Further afield, the stunning coastal towns of Monopoli and Polignano a Mare are a short drive north and the magnificent ‘white city’ of Ostuni and famous trulli village of Alberobello are easily accessible in under half and hour. Families will also enjoy the Aquapark Egnazia, just a few minutes’ drive from the property.
Though a leisurely week at Masseria Garrappa is a joy, we are happy to offer shorter stays for guests looking to extend their villa holiday in Puglia and enjoy a cookery experience at the hotel. Or why not combine a stay here with a few days at Masseria Amastuola and enjoy a wine-tasting experience as well? Our destination specialists will be happy to arrange a bespoke itinerary to suit your wishes; for further information and prices, please call 020 8392 5858.
- 3 first floor suites (sleeps 2-3)
- Indoor seating/dining area
- Cooking class area
- Wine cellar
- Suite Nuvola – double bedroom suite with suite shower room, mezzanine with single day bed (sleeps 3)
- Suite Luna – double bedroom suite with shower room, mezzanine with single day bed (sleeps 3)
- Suite Cuore – double bedroom suite with shower room (sleeps 2)
- Complimentary WiFi
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Daily buffet breakfast included
- Light lunches and dinners available on request
- Dinner in ‘Dono’ restaurant
- Outdoor dining area
- Vegetable garden
- Beach Club ‘Bambù’ (payable locally)
- Cooking class available
- Bicycles available (complimentary)
- Laundry service available
- Simpson Travel pool/beach towels provided
- Shared swimming pool 13m x 3.5m (depth 1.2m – 2.0m)
- Parking area
- In Italy, a daily tourist tax applies for the first two weeks of your stay only, which means that an average of €1.50 per person (12+ years) may be charged. This should be paid in cash to your villa or hotel owner during your stay.
- Our Covid-19 pledge means your holiday is fully protected. However, there may be special conditions surrounding flexible booking at this property. For further details, please visit: /covid-pledge-flexible-booking.
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails*
* We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
National tourist licence (CIS): BA07203062000014578
- Capitolo Beach Club ‘Bambù’ 11min walk or 4min cycle
- Scavi di Egnazia 4min drive
- Acquapark Egnazia 4min drive
- Monopoli (shops/restaurants/cafés) 10min drive
- Alberobello 20min drive
- Polignano a Mare 15min drive
- Ostuni 25min drive
- Bari 40min drive
- Bari airport 45 min drive
- Lecce 1hr drive
- Matera 1hr 20min drive
- Brindisi airport 45min drive
- Bari airport 1hr drive
This property is priced on an accommodation-only basis. To view details of recommended flights please click here.
We are happy to arrange your car hire, using one of our trusted local suppliers; please ask us about options and prices. All hire cars booked with us include:
- Fully inclusive insurance, with zero excess*
- Free additional driver
When you book your car with us, we'll also make sure the paperwork is done in advance, leaving you free to simply check and sign for the vehicle when you arrive. For further information regarding travel arrangements click here.
* For this particular destination, the undercarriage is not included in the cover.
- 2 guests – 1 group B, Fiat 500 or similar
- 3 guests – 1 group C, Smart ForFour or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group D, Fiat 500L or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group E, VW T-Cross, Seat Arona or similar
- 4 guests – 1 group F, VW T-ROC / Nissan Kadjar or similar
Group B – 1 litre engine, 1 medium suitcase*
Group C – 1.4 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group D – 1.4 litre engine, 2 medium suitcases*
Group E – 1.6 litre engine, 2 large suitcases*
Group F – 1.6 litre engine, 2 large and 2 small suitcases*
* Suitcase sizes are based on a large suitcase being approximately 75cm x 41cm x 31cm, a medium suitcase of approximately 65cm x 46cm x 29cm and a small suitcase of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Our choice of Italian properties is diverse, ranging from simple charm to genuine luxury and style. Much of our portfolio is privately owned, and price alone is therefore not a universal guide. We contract all our accommodation in person, and each property has its individual appeal.
To help you make the right choice based on your own priorities, we have devised a simple grading guide to be considered in conjunction with each individual property description, awarding up to a maximum of five stars for the below categories.
* For further clarification on Facilities and Amenities, please view the 'Details' tab for each property or speak to one of our experienced sales consultants.
There’s a different side of Italy to discover on a holiday in Puglia – the land of the trulli, ancient olive groves and historic towns that take you on a journey from Byzantine to Baroque. And then there are the countless beaches and beach clubs that capture the diversity of this absorbing destination: unspoilt, unpretentious and full of creative flair, where the generosity of the locals is matched by the excellence of its cuisine.
Explore our pre-bookable experiences in Puglia.
View holiday Booking Conditions